Savory Sausage Pie
I guess technically this is really a quiche, but it is so much heartier and filling than your typical quiche, that I decided to call it a pie. Also, men who think they don’t like quiche will definitely like this!
Here’s what you’ll need to make it, this recipe make 2 pies:
You will need pork sausage (I like to use hot), cheddar cheese, sour cream, a small onion (I only used half of this one), eggs, and 2 regular pie crusts (I am using frozen).
Begin by browning your sausage over medium heat:
While your sausage is browning, dice your onion into a fine dice.
half of a large onion
I did not have any small onions so I am using half of a large one.
After your sausage is browned and crumbled, drain off the grease and let it cool.
draining fat from browned sausage
Next, in a medium mixing bowl, combine whisk your eggs until well beaten.
whisking eggs with a fork
Now you are ready to add the cheese, sour cream, and onions to the eggs:
adding cheese, sour cream, and onions to eggs
After these ingredients are mixed together add your cooled sausage:
adding sausage to egg mixture
Mix together until all ingredients are combined. Now divide the mixture between 2 unbaked pie shells (thawed if frozen).
pouring into pie shells
Spread mixture evenly into shells:
Place the pies in a 350 degree oven and bake for 25 minutes.
Here is a finished pie:
ready to eat
Serve with fresh fruit for breakfast or brunch or with a tossed green salad for lunch or dinner!
Here’s the printable recipe:
Recipe Type: Breakfast and Brunch
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 1 pound pork sausage (hot or mild)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 unbaked regular pie shells
- Brown sausage until no longer pink, crumble and drain. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs with a fork until beaten.
- Add cheddar cheese, sour cream and onion to eggs. Stir to combine.
- Add cooled sausage to egg mixture. Stir to combine.
- Divide mixture between the 2 pie shells.
- Spread mixture evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until done.